Friday, March 20, 2015

Ideas

This week's blog post is a little different. 

I'm not going to write about a play, because I haven't been reading a play. I've been reading Jon Jory's Tips: Ideas for the actor (and not for the first time).

It's a great book. It's a series of pieces of advice for actors. It covers everything. It's not intended to be read straight through, really, but to be flipped through. It's meant to give the reader reminders and jolts of inspiration. And it works. The advice is spot on. Everything Jon Jory wrote in there was great.

But that's not what I've been reading it for. I've been reading it, really, for the other words written there in the margins. Words written by many very important people to me. People who knew me and believed in me. Words like that have meant a lot to me when I believed in myself a lot less. And when I was waiting to find out whether strangers with the power to change my future believed in me.

And the people who wrote those words, I don't think they'd be surprised by my acceptances. And I may have been just a little bit less so because of them.

So I want to salute the books that hold memories in a way that nothing else can. I'm very, very grateful for all that we can get out reading--sometimes very literally--between the lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment